Tomato Basil & Sausage Gnocchi Soup
I went rogue with my recipe for tomato basil and tortellini soup.. made it dairy and gluten free! I switched the half and half for coconut cream and the tortellini for g-free gnocchi. This soup sets up and even freezes well so you can make a huge batch ahead of time and freeze for later.
Here's what you need:
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes - quartered
- 1 medium yellow onion - diced
- 4 large cloves of garlic - pressed
- 1 large can of tomato sauce
- 1 pkg of Italian sausage
- 1 pkg of Cappellos gluten free gnocchi
- 1/2 cup Califia Farms better half creamer
- 1/2 cup fresh basil - chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet and roast on 400 for about 30-35 minutes or until the skin is wrinkled.
- Brown the sausage in a dutch oven. Drain the meat on a plate with a paper towel but leave a little bit of fat in the bottom of the pan.
- Add 2 tbsp of butter into the pan and melt.
- Saute the onions in the butter/fat and then throw in the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn't burn.
- Throw in the roasted tomatoes and the tomato sauce. Fill the tomato sauce can halfway with water and add it to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a slow boil and then turn the heat to low.
- Using the immersion blender (or you can ladle it out into an actual blender) blend the soup mixture until pureed.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the gnocchi. Boil for about 3 minutes, until the gnocchi float and then take them out with a strainer and add then to the soup. ( I ended up frying them a little in a skillet to make the outsides crispy.)
- Add the sausage, basil and creamer and stir until combined.
- Serve it up in a bowl and enjoy!